Wednesday, March 30, 2011

As a parent we have many responsitilities:

I know we could sit here and make a list of all the things a parent is responsible for.  But, ultimately our goal is that of raising adults that contribute to society and lead full independent lives.  Throughout that process there are many good things, and many bad things. 

Today I had to do one of the bad things.  Axelgirl got her phone 'bag and tag'ged at school today.  That means she was caught using it.  That means, if they choose to enforce the policy, a parent has to come up after school is dismissed and sign for it, and the Dean of Student chose to enforce it.  Now I know there are a few kids who follow the rules, and there are more that don't.  I also know that no matter what I was told by the Dean of Students, the rule is not selectively enforced.  But we move forward.  I went and signed for it, and gave it to her at the track meet.  Still need to let her know what her punishment will be. 


One of the good things is the joy we can have embarrassing our offspring.  That was my goal today.  Today was the first 'real' track meet, a FR/SO one.  Axelgirl was participating in the 4X800 (they came in 4th of 5).  Now keep in mind, my goal as a parent here is to totally support Axelgirl in whatever (well just about whatever) activity she chooses to do.  There are limits of course.  These limits would typically have to do with resources (time and money being the big ones), availability, safety, and legal (this one has never been an issue thankfully).  We go to her activities and cheer her on, or whatever is appropriate.

Many parents also realize that embarrassing a teenager is a day to day thing.  What they like one day, they may not like the next.  It keeps us on our toes.  My wardrobe is always a source of frustration for her.  Some days I understand why, others I think I am dressed ok, and she still doesn't agree.  Today's outfit, I knew would be a source of embarrassment, and I chose to move forward.  So I am about to show the latest addition to my wardrobe.  It also shows the latest title I wear as a mom.

The sweatshirt is from Walmart, the embroidery design from Embroidery Designs/Dakota Collectibles


I tweaked the colors a bit, they were more primary colors in the original designs.  And I added a few swarovski hot fix crystals as well.  There were a few things I didn't like how it lined up on the design, and I am pretty sure I stabilized enough, but I am not sure.  I need to stitch out those portions separately.  I don't typically stitch out designs with this many stitches, but it went pretty smoothly.

Here is a picture of me in the shirt.  I can guarantee, you won't typically see many pictures of me on here.


I want to say I am very proud of her for doing track. She is doing this, and still skating multiple hours a week, and keeping up on her school work.  It appears as if her third quarter report card will show a 4.0 GPA.  For track, she practices 2 hours a day, 4 days a week after school.  She is skating about 5 hours a week, and supposed to run 5 miles on one day over the weekend.  She has 3 honors classes this year as a Freshman, so this all keeps her pretty busy.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment