Friday, June 24, 2011

A Lovely Day

Currenly, Axelgirl is finishing up her 2nd week of a 3 week camp.  She is going to JBA which is held at Truman State University in Kirksville, MO, about 3 hours away.  She appears to be having a great time, and I have been able to get a few things done, as the mom taxi is on vacation.  I have a CRV, and usually have to fill up about every 5 days.  I filled up on the way home 13 days ago, and I still have about 1/4 of a tank left.

Today, I had fun with one of her friends.  For about a year, I have been promising to have her over to sew.  She really wants to learn, has her own machine, and some supplies.  Our schedules have just never meshed with the time.  So we found time today, and I hope she had as much fun as I did.  She is now the proud owner of some new skills, and a new pair of pj pants.

I picked her up late this morning, and the first thing we did was her measurements, and talked about what she wanted to make.  She agreed pj pants were a good starting point. We also talked about how pattern sizes to not correspond to RTW sizes.

She picked Simplicity 5314 for her pajama pants.  As we were reading the pattern, I was a little concerned because it only used 1/2 wide elastic.  Most pj pants I have made use 1" elastic.  Turns out this pattern only uses elastic in the back, and then has self-ties or ribbon for the rest of it.  That gives it a little more stability for the thin elastic.  If I were to make it again, I would probably adjust to allow for 1" elastic, as I think I would like it for me.  The waist is also on the natural waistline (you know, near the belly button), she was fine with this, but for axelgirl, I would have to lower it.  She chose this monkey and frog fabric for the pants, and a 3/8" pink ribbon for the ties.  The pattern called for 1/2" ribbon, but Joanns didn't have any that we saw.  The 3/8" worked fine.  Helping her was good for me as well.  On many things such as pj pants, I tend to not read directions, so if there is something slightly different, I may not catch it.  This pattern was nice, as it had basic sewing in it, but she also got to experiment with buttonholes, in a non critical way.  The drawstring exits through 2 button holes in the front.  We need to experiment with her machine some more to fine tune how to make them.

Joanns was a lot of fun.  We walked up and down all of the aisles of fabric, except for the home dec.  It was fun watching her enjoy looking at and feeling all the fabrics.  She even found a skirt pattern she liked and we wrote down the number for the future.  We also purchased a t-shirt to do some coordinating ME, but have to save that for a later day, as we ran out of time.  A quick stop for lunch, and we were ready to work.

We talked a little about the 'boring' stuff.  Terminology, reading the pattern, layout etc. And we talked about ironing, pressing each seam open, etc.  Then we got to work.

First she pinned the pattern

Then there was cutting


and some sewing

Ironing and pinning

Some more sewing

And the final product

She should be very proud of herself.  She did the almost all of it.  There were a few things I would do part of to show her how, but she did it.  Hopefully she is more confident of herself and abilities, and will be trying more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment