Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sewing Room Redo-Bulletin Board

Earlier this summer, I purchased fabrics to finally finish the sewing room.  I shared pictures of the fabric here.  I have been working on it a little bit at a time.   Before I can finish everything that I would like, I need to get some more fabric.  Hopefully it is still available.  My goal is to have everything the way I want it before the end of August.  We will see if that actually happens.

The first thing I accomplished was the bulletin board.  From the front, it looks great.  I am not totally satisfied with the back, everything did not get tucked in neatly as I did not leave enough fabric.  I also feel that I might have added a bit to much padding, as regular push pins don't seem to work, so I use straight pins on it.    I have pictures of the process I used, figuring it out as I go along.  I have done one other bulletin board before this, and made some changes from that. I apologize for some of the formatting.  I am having a hard time making it do what I want it to do today.

Supplies used are:
  • Standard bulletin board
  • Cover fabric about 5-6 inches longer and wider than outside dimensions of bulletin board
  • 2-3 peices of padding, again 5 inches longer and wider than outside dimensions of bulletin board (can use fleece, quilt batting, or whatever you might have on hand.  My bottom layer was actually pieced from fleece)
  • Staple gun with staples
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • Hammer
  • Nails to reattach hangers or new hanging hardware
  • Spray adhesive-if desired, this can either be repositionable, or anything used for craft projects.

Bulletin board before beginning project-I had originally covered it by sticking fabric under the frame.  This is a quick and easy method, but wasn't as finished of a look as I wanted.  The fabric shown is some I had and was considering if I liked it.


Remove original hanging hardware.  I marked the spots, as I already had the screws in the wall to hang it, so hardware needed to go back in the same spot, as I didn't want to add additional holes to the wall.


Next, cut the layer of padding that will be next to the bulletin board the size of the bulletin board and tack in place with adhesive.  You can see here where I pieced my fleece


Do the same with the next layer of fleece/batting, I ended up trimming after positioning.  It seemed to stretch as I smoothed it



Next, lay the cover right side down on the work surface then the top layer of batting on top of the right side.  Center bulletin board on top of batting.


Pull fabric over where needed, and attach mounting hardware.  I went ahead and stapled around the area as well to hold things in place, as I nailed the hardware down


Next begin stapling the edges over, pulling tight, work on all 4 sides.  I do the ends, then the middle of one side, then the side across from it.  After all 4 sides are tacked in place, I finish each side, pulling taught.


Next, attempt to miter the corners as neatly as possible, considering the bulk of the materials





 Because I have issues with my staple gun, most likely operator error, I needed to go back and hammer some of the staples in all of the way.


Using a flat head screwdriver, push the extra fabric and batting under the edge of the frame.  Fabric can be trimmed if necessary.   This leaves the back looking neat.


If desired, criss cross ribbons can be added, securing in the back at this point.  after playing with several different ribbons, I decided the print was to busy and looked messy on this fabric.  I did do it on Axelgirls bulletin board.  I used a large yarn needle and tacked buttons at the intersections of the ribbon, stitching through the cork.  Her bulletin board is black velvet with lime green ribbon with pink saddle stitch ribbon and hot pink hologram covered buttons, so a very different look.

Finished bulletin board flat on table
 Finished bulletin board hanging on wall










No comments:

Post a Comment