Saturday, July 2, 2011

She's home and a baby gift

Axelgirl is home from camp!  She just spent 3 weeks at Joseph Baldwin Academy at Truman State University in Kirksville, MO.  It is a gifted and talented camp, and she got to take a class on geneology.  We've only been home for a bit, and she is still unpacking, but I can't wait to see what she has put together.  Right now, she is unpacking, sorting and organizing all of her 'stuff'.  We have missed her, but I admit, because I wasn't wearing all of the mom 'hats' I had more time in the sewing room.  I'm hoping to find a way to continue that.  We are very proud of her for successfully completing all 3 weeks.  They had an 'all-nighter' last night before we picked them up.  I must say all of the kids and especially the staff looked exhausted.  I will also say it is a relief to see her healthy and in one piece after the camp, even though I know she is old enough to take care of herself.

Since I bought the fabric for the sewing room, I have been working on that, as well as deciding it was a good time to clean/reorganize/declutter.  I've also been finishing up the embroidery for a Gail Doane jacket, hopefully to construct some day soon. More on that, and details on the gifts for my niece next week.

One of the things I worked on was a baby gift for a former coach of hers.  She just had her first baby, and it was a lot of fun to make baby things for her.

I will say, the trend for baby boys seems to be blue/brown rooms.  So part of the gift is based around that.  I made a 3 sets of matching blanket/bib/burp rags for her.

The blankets are Joanns flannel.  The finish at about 43" squarish.  I buy 1 1/4 yards of flannel for each, and serge a rolled hem all the way around in a coordinating or matching fabric.  The bibs are from Kohls/BabiesRUs/ToysRUs.  I buy the blank packs and just use what I need, keeping the extras for the next baby gift.  Burp Rags are made from unfolded gauze type diapers.  When making a gift, I usually try to monogram a set, do one set (or more) based on the room theme if possible, and then whatever "I" like.  Sometimes inspiration comes from the print on the flannel, parents interest or hobbies, a cute ribbon, designs I have, or just 'unknown inspiration'.

The first one is an example of being inspired by a ribbon.  I just loved this monkey ribbon.  Originally, I was determined to stick will all browns/blues, but this monkey ribbon was just too cute.  I think it will be great for girl or boy gifts in the future.
  and the Monogram in blue/brown.  I did it in Pallette, I honestly don't remember the font I used

Daddy is a musician, so I did a music themed one, again in blue/brown

No comments:

Post a Comment