Sunday, October 23, 2011

Axelgirl is spoiled

Axelgirl is spoiled.  She admitted this to me the other day.  We were cleaning her car, and doing a few things to it, and she said she wanted it to look different.  She wasn't talking about anything major, just more disappointed that the pink fuzzy steering wheel cover didn't fit, that type of thing.

She actually has a pretty good attitude about 'her' car.  Axeldaddy got a new car in 2010.  His previous car was a 1998 Saturn, that had been pretty reliable. Since she was going to be 15 shortly after we bought the car and learning to drive, we decided to go ahead and keep it so that she could use it.  Many kids at her school have nice cars.  New cars.  Cars newer and nicer than mine.  She has told me many times that she is just glad to have a car to use when she gets her license.  I'm very thankful for this.

But back to her being spoiled and the car.  She told me she was used to me making her things so that her things would always be different from everyone elses.  Whether it was clothes, skating dresses, etc, I was always willing to go the extra step to make it special for her.  There has been more than one night when an outfit wasn't finished when she went to bed, and when she woke up, she was wearing that item.  She has known from a very young age, that she could go into the basement and find fabric, and I would do my best to get it made up as quickly as possible.  Ask to go to Joanns, Hobby Lobby or Hancocks, and all chores and punishments for the day were forgotten.  We still haven't figured out what to do to her car to make it special yet, but she thinks she has some ideas for what to dangle from the mirror.  She does have a vinyl decal (in hot pink of course) of a figure skater and her name on the back window.

Well lately, her requests haven't been for her, but somehow, I am still willing to do my best to fulfill them.  We recently sent a bunch of gifts for my new nephew and threw in some things for my niece.  A toy for my niece led into making a matching outfit of the toy.

We got her this flashlight.  It is really cute.  You squeeze its tail, and the mouth opens, lights up and makes sounds.  I can see many hours of fun (Sorry Sherri and Pat) with this one.  Axel girl saw it, and decided she needed an outfit with a pink and purple unicorn on it.

So here it is.  It is a reversible MP Applique Jumper.   It is really similar to the Childrens Corner Lucy, which many people prefer, but I had this pattern, and didn't want to buy a new one.  The entire thing, except for buttons and the ribbon were from stash. I even had ready made piping in the correct color.  I think it was in a gift bag I won when our guild had a teacher in that they got from Jan at Bessie Mary. I had several technical difficulties with this one.  I had to wing it to make it reversible.  So I left the two bottom layers open, and added the pink ruffle to the lining.  I didn't think about it, but then when I hemmed the main layer, it was too short.  So the lavender ribbon ruffle was added to match the removable ribbon ties.  Next time I do reversible, there are several things I will change.  I am amazed that I never made any of these A-line jumpers when Axelgirl was little.  They are simple, cute and easy.  As I said in an earlier post, I have several ideas for these jumpers, some with coordinating little brother outfits, some for by themselves.  I need to show the pattern to MiniAxelgirl's mom to see if she likes it.  We have designed one for her as well.

 This is the front of the jumper, or the 'matching' side.  Quilting weight cotton, probably from Joanns in aqua with little white random dots.  Or you can pretend it is Fairy Dust.  Hey, its a unicorn, so use your imagination.  I was also told they 'poop rainbows and butterflies' while we were making this outfit.  You can see here where I had to add the purple ribbon because this layer was too short.  A little busy for my taste, but I think it is perfect for a little girl.  The ribbon bows on the shoulder are removeable.  They are a piece of ribbon with a buttonhole in the middle.  After the jumper is on, you put it over the button, and tie.
This is the lining but is wearable on this side.  It is a cute bug print where some of the bugs are gingham.  Yes there are butterflies, which makes it a perfect lining.  See above for reasoning.  The ruffle and piping are hot pink pima gingham.  Once again, I love pima gingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment