Saturday, October 22, 2011

Big Sister - Little Brother Outfits

I love sewing little kids clothes.  But it is a challenge when they are far away, and you don't get to see them very often.  As Axelgirl and I have designed several other outfits, in our heads at least, I'm hoping for some feedback on how they fit.

I made matching outfits for my niece and nephew.  My FIL loves to fly model airplanes, so I decided to go with an airplane theme for them. It took me a while to find something that wasn't too girly or too boyey (is that even a word) Fabric Finders made a cute pique with airplanes on it in two color ways, it was hard to find, but I finally located it at PBJ Kids..  I decided to go with the orange/lime/turquoise instead of the primary colored one.  They are both lined in Pima Cotton gingham.  There are times I wish I had about 10 yards of every color of this stuff.  I love using gingham for accents, linings, and for just things.

Both outfits are made from Martha Pullens Applique book.  Using another pattern, I cut down the JonJon to about 6 month size (at least that was my goal).  The jumper is a size 2.  Since my niece and nephew are about  15 months apart, this seemed about right.  They also live in Tucson, so I don't have to worry about the weather as much.  It does get cooler in the winter, but since I planned these outfits for about 6 months from now, they should be fine.


Embroidery design is a modification of one from Designs by Juju.  I seem to be using her designs a lot lately.  In this case I left off some of the stitches to better match the planes on the fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment