Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Childrens Corner Carol-Details from Mistakes or Design Features

Over the summer I posted two things that I made for my the first birthday of my niece.  Two of them had design features that were not intended.

My version of the Childrens Corner Carol was one of them.  This is not supposed to be a dress with a yoke.  The smocking or the pleats are supposed to come down from the neckline.  And you are supposed to start your smocking low enough so that the collar won't cover it.

Well some days my brain does not function properly.  It just doesn't.  I act without thinking.  Speak without thinking.  Cut and Stitch without thinking.  The first two are harder to fix and can cause more damage.  Cutting and stitching without thinking can sometimes be fixed, modified (becomes a design feature), turned into a UFO, or tossed.

In this case, as you may have guessed, I started my smocking too high.  If you search for Images of Children's Corner Carol, you can see many examples of it being done properly.  Here is an excellent example.  http://southernmatriarch.blogspot.com/2011/03/getting-ready-for-summer.html


I ended up turning it into a yoke dress, because my smocking was too high.  I think it is still pretty cute, but not the original look I was going for.

Of course, bloomers always make an outfit cuter.  I was lucky enough to be a tester for the Sara Norris Maclain pattern, available here. http://www.saranorrisltd.com/category_44/Patterns.htm  Here is my version.

 And once again, I have waited so long, I have forgotten the smocking plate.  I do think the fabric was a little too stiff for this outfit, but it is from the Nursery section at Joanns.

No comments:

Post a Comment