Sunday, May 13, 2012

A dress for Axelgirl

I haven't posted lately, as I haven't been doing as much sewing as I would like.  Other things have gotten in the way.  I have been subbing a lot, no real excuse, as I know lots of people work full time and find time to enjoy their hobbies.  One of the biggies that has taken my time is that Axelgirl made it on their schools Winterguard team last fall, and that pretty much engulfed our lives.  She had practice 3 nights a week for 3 hours each, and either competed or had an all day practice on Saturdays.  Many competitions required an overnight stay, or we got in so late on Saturday night that Sunday was a waste (Jan through Mid April).  I will say it was a lot of fun to watch their team come together.  Early on in the season the team was promoted from Scholastic A to Scholastic Open.  They are the only Scholastic Open team in Missouri.  As the season progressed, they continued to do well, they placed First at MCCGA Chapionships, 2nd at the WGI Regional in Dallas, and were 22 overall nationally.  Two weeks before nationals a teammate quit, causing a rework of almost the entire program.    

In the time I have had to sew, I haven't taken pictures, or taken the time to post.  I have decided that I need to make it a priority, and make sure my family sees it as such.  They actually are pretty good about it, but I always think I need to be doing other things for them.

I decided that one of my challenges needs to be to be able to alter patterns for adults.  My first challenge is in sewing for Axelgirl.  My ultimate goal is to be able to make her Homecoming and Prom dresses.  This is the first thing I have made for her in a while.  It is Burda 8045.  I did not make any changes to the sizing, and I am pretty happy with the fit.  I did alter the bodice pieces slightly, so that the V wasn't quite so deep.  There are a few adjustments I would make in the back I think, I would also line the midsection, the upper bodice is already lined.  The pattern went together fairly easily, except I couldn't get the zipper right.  I kept sewing it on backwards, which was definately operator error.  The other thing I didn't like is the pattern did not have yardage for 44" fabric.  We made it with cheapy Joanns quilting cotton, so I had to go back and get more fabric, as I didn't calculate correctly.

I do think she is happy with it overall.

 and when I do finish something, I don't take pictures