Sunday, April 21, 2013

Busy 3 weeks

Can't beleive it has been 3 weeks since I updated.  A lot has happened during that time, along with a little sewing.  Nothing much to show for it.

During this time, we had 3 busy weekends.  Circuit Championships for Winterguard (Scholastic Open Champions for MCCGA), Axelgirl testing the Silver Tango and passing, this completes her Silver Dances.  She will begin testing Pre-golds next month.  Both in the same weekend.  The next weekend was WGI Worlds for Winterguard-they were finalists in Scholastic Open.  This required traveling to Dayton, Oh Wednesday through Friday, and three performanaces.  This weekend was Prom, which had 4 dresses altered.

During this time, I also found out that I have to have knee surgery for a torn meniscus on my right knee.  The preliminary expectation is one week on crutches, and then another month for full recovery.  I have put it off until after the school year, and will have the surgery on June 6.  This effectively kills any plans for a vacation. I have also decided the internet can add to your anxiety levels.  Looking on line, I seem to find a lot more incidents of slower recovery, than faster recovery.  He should just be snipping out the damaged part, rather than a repair.  If anyone has any experiences with this, good or bad, I'd love to know.

So here is some of the sewing I have done.

The Silver Tango Dress-Lots of crystals.  Also added crystals to the bodice.  This was really the first time I had glued a significant amount of stones on a dress.  My confidence in this went up, but I still prefer hotfix.

I had 4 prom dresses to fix.  Axelgirls, and 3 of her guardies.  Two were hem and strap adjustments, but I only have pictures of the one dress, another was add straps and hand bead the straps to match the beading on the waistband.  Axelgirls was straps and hotfix crystals on strap and bodice.

Hand beaded straps-I lucked out, and Hancocks had almost a perfect match in color.  Not in fabric, but I made it work.
 Below you can see the Waistband that I was to match, next to the beading I did.  I had to use hotfix crystals, as I couldn't find sew on crystals in the settings.
Axelgirl's dress.  In my opinion, she was the prettiest one in her group, but I might be a bit biased.  :)  All of the girls looked lovely. There were about 7 girls, and 2 had dates.  I actually felt sorry for the boys, being with that group being so outnumbered.  Dress is Cinderella Blue in taffeta and it looks like someone dumped iridescent glitter.  Some of the pictures don't show the color well.  A friend from work did her hair, and it was perfect.

Back of head

Front/top of hair.  The crystal chain is what I cut off of the dress.  It looked cheap and kept sliding under the top.

 My favorite picture from the evening.  I actually had some printed at CVS
Back 

 Front
 Bodice closeup
Shot of the guard girls who went with this group.  Besides Axelgirls dress, the lavender one, and the coral one are two of the ones I did.  No picture of the third one.

After reading about the surgery online and the concern that I may be on crutches longer than a week, I have been working on a few things for that.  New hand covers, and top thingies (these need to be redone), and some pockets to carry a water bottle, debit card, phone, etc.  No pics yet, as I tweak them.  They are based on a lot of things I saw on line, to fit my needs.

For my top 5 or maybe 6-Not sure whether I will follow this or not.

  1. Finish smocking Make a Ladybug Wish, then will need to construct.  Not sure what pattern, or size even.
  2. Work on Wee Care-  I hope to have a bunch rts and ready to embroider before my surgery.
  3. Clothing protectors
  4. Summer dress for Axelgirl
  5. Nightgown for me
  6. Summer shirt for me

No comments:

Post a Comment