Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pleating Grady Gowns

Today, I spent a lot of time getting Grady Gowns ready to pleat.  I managed to cut out and construct to the point of pleating 10 large gowns.  I was rather excited, thinking I could pleat them up and finish the construction this weekend, then find thread and plates to bag them and set aside for June after my knee surgery.  For once, I actually did what I planned on.

The first one, I had 9 1/2 space rows, starting one row from the folded edge.  I lost 6 needles.  The next one I had 8 1/2 space rows and lost one needle.  The fabric is Imperial Batiste from Farmhouse Fabrics.  I just recieved it this week.

I'm hoping to get some suggestions on how to prevent breaking needles.  I want to get these wrapped up and ready to go.  I also found three bishops, size 6 month, my Aunt wanted me to help her on last year, ready to pleat, so I have added those to the pile to pleat and smock while resting my knee.

This week I did finish smocking Make a Ladybug Wish, and attempted to finish Mice to See You.  That was a real oldy.  I ended up throwing out Mice to See You, as there were several errors I couldn't work around, from being picked up and put down so many times.

I also semi organized my floss.  Not sure it is the best method, but it is better than what I did.  I also found to woven baskets in lavendar on clearance at Michaels to store the floss on.  For the DMC I have 9 boxes of the embroidery floss storage on bobbins.  I really don't like this method, but it is the best I have come up with.  The other flosses are in various size plastic containers by type. Floche, solid silk, overdyed silk, overdyed cotton, perle cotton, odd stuff, etc.

Taking away from my sewing time was that I cleaned out and painted the inside of two closets this week.  Axeldaddy and Axelgirl don't get why I painted them, but believe me they needed it.  They figure if no one sees the inside, there is no point.  I also want to get the Master Bedroom Closet and laundry room painted before my surgery.  I had planned on painting a good part of the interior of the house this summer, but those plans have been derailed.  I have a lot of things I want to get done before hand.  I have 3 weeks before my appointment when he goes over the recovery.  I want that NOW, so i can better plan.  He did mention at my last appointment that overdoing it is one of the big problems with cutting out the torn meniscus, so I am determined not to let that happen.

For this week my priorities are


  1. Finish up Grady gowns, and make a few ready to embroider gowns
  2. Determine what size for Make a Ladybug Wish, I'm thinking I will use Pitter Patter Paige.  If I remember right, that had smaller armholes that MaryDe.  My neice will be three in July, so I may go with a three, but Axelgirl wants me to make a  7 for Mini Axelgirl.  I just don't think she would wear it.
  3. Clothing Protectors
  4. Summer dress for Axelgirl.  We have several choices to go with.
  5. Nightgown for me
  6. Summer shirt for me


No comments:

Post a Comment