Sunday, January 26, 2014

More Snow Days.......

We had two more snow days this week, well actually one snow day and one cold weather day.  Because of this I was able to knock two more things off of my list.

First was I finished the embroidery on the Le Jardin Pin Cushion.  Now I just need to get both pieces framed and hang them up.  I will have them matted and framed to match the Sewing Box Cover and hang them together in the Master Bathroom.  I don't have a picture of it, I must have forgotten to take one, and it is waiting to be pressed after washing right now. I'll share pictures after it is framed.

Next I was able to finish a robe for me.  Pattern was Butterick 5537.  Robe was made from JoAnns terrycloth, and I made the lapels in a contrasting seersucker that I had already had.  Pattern called for lapels to be of same fabric, but I don't know when the last time I followed a pattern completely was.    I also added inside ribbon ties, more like you would find in RTW, pattern did not call for these, but I like them to help keep my robe closed.Construction was easy.  Fit was so so.  I cut a good 6" off of the sleeves. Unless you are 7ft tall, or plan on cuffing the sleeves, I think they would be to long on anyone.  I had the same problem with the robe I made for Axelgirl from a different pattern.  I also think the armhole is too big/hangs to low.  I would like the top of my robe to be a bit more fitted. a little wider than I would like also.  The belt is to wide as well, along with the adjustments I had to make towards belt loop placement, it is a bit awkward with the pockets.  Definitely has the home-made look instead of handmade. Overall, it is comfortable and will get a lot of use.

About a month or so ago, I promised pictures of the Winterguard Flags.  Well this weekend was our first competition, so I can now share, as they have been debuted.  

First is the gray set.  There were 8 in this set.  2 each of 4 different shades of gray.  It was hard to get a good picture of them.  Each flag has a branch with thorns appliqued onto it.  Then I had to cut away the gray under the purple and fray check all the edges, so that the flag look uniform on each side.  Keep in mind this is poly china silk, so it was not a fun process at all


   There were 14 to make of the blue set.  Each blue flag has an inset of same color blue lame creating a triangle inside the flag.  These seams are made similar to a flat felled seam.


 Here is a picture of Axelgirl after the competition.  She has naturally curly hair, and they have to straighten it for each competition.  I think she looks beautiful, and the seamstress did a wonderful job on the costumes.

My next top 5 are this, I think:

  1. Work on wee care.  I have 8 gowns that need finishing up with smocking/embroidery/etc.
  2. PJ pants for me.  I was really hoping to have enough of the seersucker fabric to do this, but I did not, so I will use other fabric I have on hand.  I have several choices in mind, including Ice Skating Hello Kitty.
  3. Pinafore to go with doll dress that is constructed.  Years ago, I shadow embroidered a bird carrying balloons (cuter than it sounds), with this in mind, and never got the pinafore made for Bitty Baby.  I've been looking for a pattern, and think this might work with modifications. Dress with Pinafore
  4. Construct a BSY that is already smocked.  A UFO about 2-3 years old with no one to wear it anymore.  I'll probably make a size 4 and give it to my niece on her birthday.
  5. Silk shirt for me.  I want to start doing more sewing for myself, and this is a way to start.  I need to become better at alterations, as patterns do not fit me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment