Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Snow days make me productive........

but I'm ready to go back to school.  School let out December 20 for Christmas Break.  That is 2 1/2 weeks we have been home.  For most of the time, that has been me, Axelgirl, and Axeldad.  Axeldad has worked 3 of those days.  I hope tomorrow isn't a snow day.

Since Sunday, I have finished all 5 of my to do items.  I have a bunch of UFO's that have no recipient that I am going to be working on as well.  Since one of my goals is to use up stash, I plan to work on those as well.  I also want to start going to Spirit of St. Louis Smocking Guild meetings again.

What I have completed:

The sewing room has been picked up and organized.  Not 100% perfect but better than it was.  Now to work on the closet.  Anyone want to come help?

Mending is caught up.  I sewed a button back on a pair of pants and repaired one of Axelgirls sweater dresses.

Christmas Present/Skating Dress for Mini Axelgirl.  Loosely based on Kwik Sew 2178.  I changed the front to color blocking, and redrafted the skirt and waistline.  This was made to match one of the doll skating dresses she received for Christmas.  The fabric is from stash, and is an orchid lycra, and holographic silver on white, bodice is lined with white lycra.



I constructed 7 Wee Care gowns that were already smocked.  These are all from the Grady Gown pattern.


Finished up a Hello Kitty hat that was crocheted.  All it needed were the eyes, nose and whiskers.  It took less than an evening.  I'd love to know why I get projects to a certain point, and then let them sit, when it just takes an hour or two to finish them up.  Here is the pattern I used. http://crochetincolor.blogspot.com/2012/03/hello-kitty-hat-pattern.html I'm not sure which will get more wear, this or the Tardis (Dr. Who) one completed earlier.


Last was a robe for Axelgirl.  This was the biggest project, as it wasn't finishing up something that was already started.  For the pattern, I used Simplicity 5931. She measured a medium, I made a small, and I think and Xsmall would have worked as well.  The sleeves are too long, and I offered to shorten them, but she says she likes it that way. As always, I did things a little different.  The pattern calls for the robe to be made of all one fabric.  Instead I used terry cloth for the main part, then Ultra Cuddle for the lapels and pockets.  I also changed the way the belt-loops were sewn in.  The pattern called for them to be sewn in the side seam, running horizontally.  Instead I sewed them in the 'normal' way, vertically, just to the back of the side seam.  I left out the interfacing, as my fabric was sturdier than those called for in the pattern, and thought it would make it too stiff.  Next time I would also add ribbon ties one to hold the inside tied together.  I may go ahead and add that to this one.  I will say, I am jealous of this robe, and am seriously considering making one for myself.


My next top 5 are:

  1. Finish embroidery on Le Jardin Needlebook cover.  I want to do this and the pin cushion, then have framed to go with the Sewing box cover that is being framed right now.
  2. Prepare 5 Wee Care gowns for smocking or embroidery
  3. Make pinafore to go with Doll dress that is constructed.  Embroidery is already done, I just need to construct the pinafore.  This is one of those very old UFO's.
  4. Construct BSY that is already smocked.  A UFO about 2-3 years old, with no one to wear.  I'll probably make it a size 4, and consider giving it to my niece for her birthday.
  5. Pillow Covers for living room.  As stated in a previous post, I don't like the pillows as they came with the couch, and would like to add more color.  I am in the minority for this, but if I make removeable covers and they don't work well, it is an easy solution.



No comments:

Post a Comment