Monday, February 24, 2014

For the heartbreakers....

First I have to brag on the Francis Howell North Winter Guard.  They were excellent this weekend at the WGI regional in Indy.  They came in second in Prelims and tied for first in finals in the Scholastic Open category.  They are currently ranked 3rd in the nation in their category.  For anyone curious as to what Winter Guard is all about, I suggest going to Youtube and searching on it.  Here is a video showing clips from the World Championships 2 years ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omyrS8UDk1g  Here are the WGI Indy Regional Co-Champions.  Axelgirl is in the front row with the seniors an the right.

Because we were out of town this weekend, I didn't get much sewing done.  I did just finish up the 12 key chain pouches.  They were from here, but I made some changes.  Heart In the hoop key chain/coin purse

Each one of these took about 20 minutes total.  I had mistakes on about 5 of them that I needed to redo.  While they can be made from scraps, I used the fabric that I have been using for the other items.  The expensive part is the zipper, especially when you have to remake, so I recommend taking care to not rush and follow the directions.   My biggest problem was remembering to open up the zipper before stitching on the backing.  The total time included ripping out stabilizer cutting and turning.  I am thinking you could water soluble stabilizer and soak them if you have the time.  You will see I also added a ribbon loop and key ring to these.  This is not part of the original design,  In order to do this, here is what I did.  Before the last two colors are stitched (applying the backing), take a piece of ribbon, folded over holding it over the right side of the zipper.  Stitch a few stitches of the next to last color, stop, and return to the beginning of that color, place the backing and lining fabrics on, and stitch as usual.  After turning, put key ring on ribbon.



Last week I also received my Valentines gift from Axeldad. It was enough of this Liberty of London to make myself a nightgown.  He purchased it from www.fabric.com  Now I need to decide on a pattern, and stitch it out.  I am thinking I will do smocked but am not sure of the colors and design to use.
Liberty Of London Tana Lawn Toria Pink

My next top 5 items are:

  1. Tissue Holders for Cincinatti Regional on 3/15
  2. WGI Worlds goody bag item for 4/2
  3. Construct a BSY that is already smocked.  My niece will be here hopefully in June, so I would like to have it for her then.
  4. Pinafore for a doll dress that is already finished.
  5. Nightgown for me

No comments:

Post a Comment